lørdag den 21. oktober 2023

The Shady Publishers of Today

When I started publishing, i.e. in my native tongue of Danish, I took for granted that the publishers that I approached - or who approached me -  were what one might call "reputable". To me that meant that they were of a standard that made publishing with them a kind of "stamp of approval" which guaranteed that my book was worthwhile for buyers and readers: It was QUALITY and should be recognized as such as it presumably had been through a validation process by what was considered expert editors. On top of that the publishers were supposed to make an effort to make the book sell by PR via ads in newspapers, magazines, etc..

A book was always physical, hardcover or not, and it was sold at good, reputable bookstores, it had reviews, etc., etc.. There might have been "scammers" even then and some publishers were anything but reputable, but that wasn't a grave problem as one simply kept away from these "bad eggs" of the business. 

Now, the process of publishing and the obligations of the publishers have changed in so many ways that it's hard to keep track of what's going on. First of all, an agent has become a necessity because most of those so-called reputable publishers will not accept a script from the author without one. I suppose this trust in agents is a remnant of the old validation system by the editors of the individual publishers, but how trustworthy is this agent-based recommendation? Contrary to the old system with presumably non-biased editors who were engaged by the publishing houses each of these agents works for themselves and their clients. I take for granted that big publishing houses still have editors who may - or may not - have an eye for what's good enough to be published by them, but if that's the case why then not skip the agents and negotiate directly with the writers?   

Our days' market of books have moved in several directions and I must say I have a nostalgic longing for the old hard cover books, but at the same time I acknowledge that they seem to be vanishing as they have lost out to the electronics of today. However, this has given writers new possibilities of publishing that I too have enjoyed. As far as I can see the only problem with self-publishing e-books, as I've done on several occasions, is the lack of a "stamp of recognition" by agents, editors, etc.: The public may not take the author's words for it that these books are worthwhile.

OK, now the situation is changing rapidly and it's difficult to find one's way in the publishing swamp of today, but right now I feel that we as writers should not go exclusively after the by now more or less out-dated agent-publisher-system. Presumably it offered safe publishing, guaranteeing one's royalties, PR, etc., and when it worked it was nice for the author, but is it realistic to expect now? Also, much of what kept this system going was a kind of snobbery that I, not being a snob, find unpleasant as well as illusory. Actually, writers chasing the high-class, so-called reputable publishers have exposed them as the genuine "vanity press" of the market ....

There must be a way to take advantage of some of those publishers who set out to scam or even abuse us by not fulfilling the obligations they use to lure us in with. To read about some of them one would think they were angels sent to protect and lead writers to fame and fortunes beyond belief and, sorry to say so, they are not. No, they keep one hanging with fees, the necessary PR, keeping tracks of royalties, etc., etc.. Also they have a way of robbing one of one's copy right, but, as far as I know, it's possible to regain it by changing the ISBN No. Besides I'm sure that traffic goes with the reputable ones as well. 

Scammers are scammers, gloating in their frauds, but still, one may get them to publish one's books and there should be a way based on the law to make them keep their promises. We need law makers who will set up rules that mow out the worst sharks among them. Everybody may publish, but it's obvious that what used to be free, is changing into something one might call more or less disguised "fees-based". In any case, to hook up with any of these well-known shady publishers is dangerous business, but these days the borders between them and the reputable ones have become quite blurred. 

Right now, as I'm preparing the publishing of some new books I've made a very tentative approach to one of the shady ones, simply to sound it out. I may go through with it, but only if I keep my copyright ....

 

https://boobytrapec.blogspot.com/2023/10/publishing-modern-way.html 

 

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar